The aim of this programme is to shift the economic development path of the Eastern Cape so that poverty is progressively reduced and ECSECC's vision is eventually achieved.
The objective of this programme is to support economic development policy, strategy and planning in the Eastern Cape province.
To realise one of ECSECC's strategic objectives we are planning two sub-programmes. These are:
- Sub-programme 1: Provincial economic development planning
- Sub-programme 2: Spatial economic development
The broad strategy of this programme is to strengthen provincial and sub-provincial economic planning and execution, and sharpen economic policy interventions where there is clear under-performance. The programme will respond to the economic and financial crisis through facilitating provincial and district/metro priority initiatives remove constraints and unlock opportunities for economic growth and leverage existing opportunities. Research and knowledge generation underpin the work of the programme.
In the 2017/18 financial year the programme will focus on two key areas listed below.
Partnerships facilitation and resource leveraging in agro-industry, ocean and other high potential sector investment
- Ocean economy: ECSECC will provide the secretariat for the Operation Phakisa Ocean Economy initiative. This includes fostering integrated Ocean Economy management across spheres of government; implementation of cross-sectoral ocean economy strategies as part of Provincial Vision 2030; multi-stakeholder collaboration and engagement to gain buy-in, leverage resources and implementation support in the Ocean Economy space.
- Agro-industry: Facilitation of partnerships between agricutlutre private sector role-players (commodity producers) , government and between government departments and the district municipalities. This will be done in partnerships with the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform and Department and Department of Rural Development and Agriculture.
- Manufacturing and other high potential sectors: ECSECC will work closely with DEDEAT on distressed companies policy support and facilitation of partnerships to implement the Provincial Economic Development Strategy.
Spatial interventions and local economic development in selected district and metropolitan municipalities and priority development nodes and corridors.
Economic Governance Projects
Personnel in the programme:
Mr Russell Grinker
Mr Mike Lewis
Ms Viwe Booi
Acting Manager Economic Governance and Human Resource Development